Midnight Publishing is headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, and if you’re locally based in surrounding cities including Paradise Valley, Scottsdale, Cave Creek, etc. a publishing consultation with our writing, editing, and marketing experts can be exactly what you need to identify the right avenue for your author platform and your book(s). Midnight Publishing’s in-person publishing consultation is oftentimes the most productive and proactive way to get hands-on advice about which publishing avenue to take, as well as the ways in which you can grow your platform and curate a readership that furthers your writing career in new ways.
What Does Midnight Publishing’s Consultation Entail?
This one-hour-long consultation between you and one of our industry professionals will provide you with an expansive and comprehensive list of the various methods of publishing available in 2018, before discussing your personal needs and which publishing option would be most successful for you.
Topics discussed in our publishing consultation include:
1. The various types of publishing available currently: self-publishing, hybrid publishing, and traditional publishing.
Self-publishing points of interest: different levels of editing, front and back cover design, interior formatting, font usages, images and copyrights, platforms for distribution, royalties/payments, marketing options (Kindle Unlimited program and others), giveaways, swag/marketing materials, in-person appearances, book signings, and more.
Hybrid publishing points of interest: the difference between self-publishing and hybrid publishing, recommended companies to consider when pursuing hybrid publishing, various services provided by hybrid publishers, price point differences/royalty expectations, return on investment estimations, budgeting, and more.
Traditional publishing points of interest: pros and cons regarding traditional publishing versus self-publishing or hybrid publishing, the process of querying, resources for formatting a query letter, difference between agents and publishing houses, why to pursue an agent or not depending on personal book goals, what book advances are (dispersing of them, royalties being paid out afterwards, etc.), what it means to “earn out” your advance or not, common publishing house marketing budgets, common requirements for social media presence, and more.
2. Identifying intended audience and best avenues for reaching them (online platforms, where to invest based on desired readership, etc.).
3. Building or refining author platform through a personal website with search engine optimization (SEO) using specialized keywords and key phrases, as well as accounts with Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, etc.
4. Mapping out a realistic schedule for achieving desired publication goals and designating personal milestones for furthering the process.
5. Defining an overall budget and discussing various options to stay within budget while achieving desired goals.
6. Providing you with a curated and tailored up-to-date list of literary agents and publishing houses for traditional publishing, reputable hybrid publishing companies to collaborate with, and/or resources for cover design, formatting, marketing, and more if self-publishing is the chosen avenue for your book.
At Midnight Publishing, we understand that the idea of actually sharing your book with the world can be a daunting one, but it doesn’t have to be. Our industry professionals have over ten years of experience in the publishing industry and are constantly researching and exploring the latest publication options available for authors in 2018. Contact us to share a little about your book project and goals, and we’ll schedule you for a publishing consultation that will answer every question you have and those you haven’t thought of yet.
You don’t have to pursue your author career alone—allow Midnight Publishing’s editors, writers, and marketers to devise a tailored, personal course of action that addresses your overall goals, budget, and personal book needs. We’ve been trusted with over five million words so far; find out why today.