Midnight Publishing is an editing and ghostwriting company based out of Phoenix, Arizona, with prior clients ranging from local entrepreneurs, medical professionals, and actors to cookbook writers, firefighters, and first-time authors in other parts of the country. Whether you’re looking for a simple proofread before self-publishing all the way to an in-depth structural edit and rewrite of your manuscript, Midnight Publishing offers a service for you. We wanted to dive in a little deeper on the various editing and ghostwriting services we offer so that you might get a better idea of what our award-winning staff can do for your books!
Midnight Publishing’s Book Editing Services
Perhaps our most popular choice with fiction writers, our editing options range widely and are tailored to each author’s needs. We pride ourselves on pinpointing exactly what each manuscript requires, and discussing the various options for editing and revision with our clients to ensure all of our projects are polished and publication-ready by completion. Though our packages can be a combination of the three editing options listed below depending on the manuscript, the basic three tiers we offer include:
1. Structural/Developmental Editing
This style of editing is most typical of what you’d receive from a publisher’s book editor after the acquisition of your manuscript. It examines things like:
- The overall plotline, pacing, identifying plot holes, etc.
- Character development and character arcs (does each character have goals and are they taking logical steps to achieve those goals, etc.)
- Any inconsistencies/confusion in world building and setting
Your Midnight Publishing developmental editor would offer suggestions for areas that could benefit from clarification, scenes that feel extraneous, possible restructuring of certain chapters/scenes, ways to increase the tension via action, romance, etc., and much more. This is a highly collaborative process, involving a lot of discussion between editor and author.
2. Copy Editing
This type of editing focuses on the “rules” of a book via a style guide like the Chicago Manual of Style or AP Style, as well as the verbiage of the manuscript. Copyediting would include:
- Correcting typos, punctuation, and any other grammatical errors
- Rewriting phrases when needed to avoid repetition and improve sentence flow
- Addressing tense issues (past versus present) and point of view inconsistencies (first person, third person, omniscient, etc.)
- Possible reorganizing of certain sections for cohesiveness and logicality
Midnight Publishing frequently combines the above services into a structural/copy edit hybrid, or schedules the editing in several rounds of revisions (first a structural edit that’s returned to the author for revisions, and then a second pass of the revised material to focus on copy editing). For more information on this process and pricing options, please contact us today!
This is the final read-through of a manuscript before an author plans to self-publish or submit it to a publisher, and Midnight Publishing’s staff of detail-oriented editors is up to the task. Proofreading can include but isn’t limited to:
- Highlighting any factual errors or areas of implausibility (whether what’s written is physically possible, for instance)
- Correcting grammatical and punctuation errors
- Ensuring an author-imposed style guide is maintained (an au