The publishing industry is an old industry, with deep roots in traditional methods of doing things. But as the computer, tablet, and technology age has evolved (and continues to daily), those roots have split off and grown. For almost a decade, Midnight Publishing has been working alongside hundreds of authors and industry professionals, both in the traditional market and blossoming markets of hybrid and self-publishing avenues. We’ve encountered several questions asked by authors and entrepreneurs in regard to the correct path for their publishing journey. So we’ve compiled a comprehensive guide that details traditional publishing in 2091, and how to increase your chances of publishing your bestseller—all for the incredibly affordable price of $18.99. (Interested in self-publishing, hybrid publishing or all 3 avenues? We have a guide for each, and the option to bundle all 3 guides and save!)
Highlights from our guide Traditional Publishing in 2019: Publish Your Bestseller
Welcome to our guide, traditional publishing in 2019: publish your bestseller! We discuss the traditional publishing model, and look into the process of what it means to sell your book’s rights to a publisher. We also provide a basic timeline for publication that includes finding representation by an agent, selling a manuscript to a publisher, and so on, and examine the pros and cons of going the traditional route. Some of the key points from the Traditional Publishing Edition include:
-In-depth details of the advantages of traditional publishing, and why many authors have chosen and continue to pursue this avenue even in the wake of e-books and self-publishing/hybrid publishing.
- The type of extensive distribution in brick-and-mortar stores you can expect (walking by a Barnes & Noble to see your book on the shelves, for one).
- The editorial assistance, professional publicity team, book signings and submission to awards and specific distinctions provided with traditionally published titles.
- Information on book advances, how they work in exchange for selling the rights to your book.
- Other insider information including what it means to “earn out your advance,” and the amount of royalties authors can expect to make beyond the initial advance payment.
-Discussion on the role of the literary agent
- How to go about receiving representation from the right agent, and why you need an agent in order to be traditionally published.
- A detailed description of what a query letter is, and how to fashion the components it needs: a book synopsis, chapter summaries, your intended market/audience, an author bio, and your author platform (if you have one) or ways you intend to promote yourself and establish your own fanbase. If you are a nonfiction writer, directions on how to submit a book proposal, usually with three sample chapters, and a synopsis of each chapter.
- A one-sheet on what literary agents can and should be doing for you, and how much you can expect to pay them for their representation.
-An exploration of the various publishers available and what makes each one unique.
- Who are the “Big 5”? As well as independent or small presses and university presses authors can work with, with the pros and cons of each.
- Our curated rundown of recommended literary agents, as well as major, indie, and university publishers to consider pursuing.
-The type of authors or entrepreneurs who we feel could be well-suited for this route of publishing, for a variety of reasons.
- Having a strong desire/life goal to be traditionally published, and wanting to experience the validation and accolades it can provide.
- Possessing a very large focus on seeing your book in print in a brick-and-mortar store.
- Understanding that in many situations, an advance is likely the only income you’ll receive from the sold book.
- Accepting that traditional publishing involves a relinquishing of certain steps of the creative process—that means a book cover, storyline and title that can change based on the publisher or editor’s decisions.
- Considering this option if you already have a very strong platform with thousands of followers/fans or an existing readership—agents and publishers want to sign an author that can guarantee sales.
Why purchase 1 or more guides from our Burning the Midnight Oil series?
Updated quarterly, each of our publishing guides provides more than 50 pages of curated and industry-specific information, and expert advice and tips to prepare, inform, and set authors up for success in publishing in 2019. Key points from all 3 guides include:
- Nine 2019 publishing trends to know. How will virtual reality affect publishing? What’s the deal with book subscription services? What do authors need to know about Amazon? What’s the future of audiobooks and podcasts in publishing, and how can you leverage those platforms?
- An in-depth look at the three best ways to publish in 2019: self-publishing, traditional publishing, and hybrid publishing. Which should you try your hand at, and why? What are your pros—and the harsh realities?
- A specialized checklist to get started.
Don’t wait on diving into your publishing future with our one-of-a-kind guides—purchase each one separately for $18.99, bundle two for $32.99, or buy all 3 guides at the discounted rate of $44.99 altogether (a nearly $12 savings) in our store today! Also don’t hesitate to contact Midnight Publishing anytime with your book needs so that we can discuss our editorial and ghostwriting services, personalized consultations, marketing expertise, and get to saving you a spot on our 2019 schedule